A Travellerspoint blog

Temples, Trippin and Beaches in Cambodia

Angkor_Wat.jpg Angkor_Wat..e_Photo.jpg Angkor_Thom_Gate.jpg
Bayon.jpg Bayon_Face_Statue.jpg Ta_Prohm_1.jpg
Killing_Fi..ial_Pit.jpg Killing_Fi.._Skulls.jpg S-21_1st_F..n_Cells.jpg S-21_Pictures_1.jpg Sihanoukvi..s_Beach.jpg

Since I only had 9 days and Sam only had 5, we really had to rush Cambodia, but I am so glad I went. When we arrived at the airport, it was pouring down rain and we decided to take a tuk tuk to a guesthouse we read about on wikitravel near the riverside, since we didn't want to stay in one of the guesthouses near the lake while it was raining - neither of us was rating cold showers and loads of mosquitos when the weather was crap already. Apparently, we picked the slowest tuk tuk in the whole of Cambodia as well, as it took us about an hour to get to the riverside and even then, he got lost a few times so the whole ride took us almost 2 hours (by contrast, the motorbike taxi from the riverside that took me to the airport when I left took 20 minutes). When we were looking for a hostel on my printouts, we found a hostel that said it had a bar and some pool tables, so we thought it would be cool. Well, it turned out to be in a "hostess bar"! Since both of us were tired and didn't fancy looking around, we decided to stay the night there. We ended up going out in Phnom Penh partying it up all night, and it was pretty crazy.

After only getting about 2 hours of sleep each, we woke up and took motorbikes to the bus station to jump on a bus to Siem Reap. We were pretty lucky, as the bus was empty so we both got to stretch out, but the loud, insane Cambodian karaoke music that was going on on the bus made it a bit difficult. I remember having a dream that everybody I was talking to was just saying "yep, yep, yep" and it got me so angry that I woke up - to hear a Cambodian song going "yep, yep, yep, yep".

After pulling up in Siem Reap, dazed and confused, we jumped in a tuk tuk and stayed at a place called Golden Village or something like that. Not bad value, and cheap as well. Since both of us were knackered, we just chilled out in the bamboo lounge upstairs drinking beer and then went for a walk around town. At night, we went to "Bar Street", which had a couple nice places, but nothing was groundbreaking.

The next day, we went to Angkor Wat, and wow, was it amazing! We picked the right time of the year to go, since it's the end of the rainy season and everything is green and lush. I really can't describe how amazing the temples were. We went to Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, and Ta Prohm (what they call the "Small Circuit") and spent all day looking at the temples. We even snuck into the restricted areas of Ta Prohm to take some cool pictures. We were lucky too as the weather was quite nice all day. After a day of temples, we decided that what better way would there be to celebrate than with a "Happy Pizza"! Well, the pizza was pretty happy and so was I for the rest of that night - except for the whole bouts of paranoia.

For the 4th day in a row, Sam and I woke up after only a few hours of sleep to jump on our bus back to Phnom Penh. When we arrived, I decided not to stay at the same guesthouse as before (although Sam was pretty keen) and stayed at another place near the riverside that was cheaper, just as nice and, oh yeah, wasn't full of hookers... We had a few drinks at our hotel, which included a drink called the "Roaring Temple" - involving vodka, red bull, fruit punch, and... VIAGRA! Man, that drink really messes up your head.

We ended up having one last crazy night in Phnom Penh before we decided to go to the firing ranges, the Killing Fields and S-21. I ended up firing the AK-47 - it was really cool at the time, but if I would have went to the other places first, I probably wouldn't have. Put simply, the Killing Fields and S-21 are too of the most horrible things I've ever seen. I can't even imagine the horrors that went on there, and I'm glad that i can't. All of the pictures of the people who knew they were about to die and were treated so savagely and horribly - S-21 is a place that I'm glad that I went to, but I would never go back to again. It was pretty disturbing.

After that, Sam headed back to Bangkok and I jumped on a bus to Sihanoukville, a beach town in the south of Cambodia. On the way down, I met a cool South African guy named Chris and we decided to go to a place called "Monkey Republic". It was a cool place, but it was full, so we stayed a few doors down at a place called "Nick & Craig's". Sihanoukville was amazing. I met some cool people there and we just hung out, lazed around and checked out the beaches, which were amazing as well. Otres Beach kind of reminds me of how Thailand was a long time ago. I stayed there for 4 days, then it was back to Phnom Penh, back to Bangkok, and off to Hong Kong

Posted by chrisnomad 18:03

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint